From The Cooking Foodie.
Spanakopita – traditional Greek spinach pie that is made with crispy phyllo dough layers at the top and bottom, in between there is delicious spinach-cheese-herbs mixture. This savory pie recipe is super easy to make. This this is perfect for holidays, weekends, parties or any other occasion.
Full written and printable recipe: https://www.thecookingfoodie.com/
(use the search bar at the top-right of the page to find the recipe you are looking for)
More recipes you may like:
Greek Moussaka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_29i9Qp5U
Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Pasta Shells: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKZ0QDJM5Sg
Vegetable Curry Puffs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdp9DzAY6wo
7-10 Phyllo (fillo) sheets, at room temperature
1/3-1/2 cup (80-120ml) Olive oil
2 pounds (900g) Spinach
1 Large onion, chopped
2-3 Spring onions, chopped
1/4 bunch Parsley, chopped
1/4 bunch Dill, chopped
12oz (340g) Feta cheese
12oz (340g) Ricotta cheese
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Dried oregano
Lemon zest from one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
2. Make the filling: in a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add chopped onion and sauté over medium heat until golden, add spinach and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the spinach is wilted.
3. Drain excess liquids and transfer to a large bowl. Crumble the feta cheese and ricotta cheese into the bowl, then add chopped spring onions, parsley, dill, lemon zest and spices. Mix until well combined and set aside.
4. Assembly: brush the bottom of a 9X13 inch (22X33cm) rectangle pan or 11-inch (28cm) round pan with olive oil. Take a sheet of pastry and place in the baking dish, that way so that some of the pastry hangs over the side. Brush with olive oil. Add 2-3 more sheets in the same manner, and brush them with olive oil between every layer.
5. Evenly spread the spinach and feta filling over the phyllo crust. Then, cover with 3 layers of phyllo, brushing with olive oil in between the layers. Fold the flaps or excess from the sides and brush the top layers with olive oil.
6. Using a very sharp knife cut the pie into rectangles or any other shape.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with fresh Greek salad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7rU-1-s7NM
If you like my videos, please subscribe to my channel for new cooking videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/thecookingfoodie?sub_confirmation=1