From This Old House.
Ask This Old House painter Mauro Henrique paints a bathroom using a mold resistant paint.
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
Time: 5-6 hours
Skill Level: Beginner
Tools List for Painting a Mold-Resistant Bathroom:
220 grit sandpaper
1. Use painters tape to protect any tile that’s against the surface being painted.
2. Lightly sand the walls with 220 grit sandpaper. Wear a mask while sanding.
3. Suck up the dust from sanding with a vacuum and then wipe the walls down lightly with a damp rag to remove the remaining dust.
4. Pour the antimicrobial paint into a bucket.
5. Use a paintbrush to cut around the edges of the wall with the new paint.
6. Paint the rest of the wall using the roller and the roller tray filled with paint.
7. Allow the first coat to dry and then apply a second coat.
To prevent mildew from forming on bathroom walls, Mauro points out that it’s important to keep the shower vent clean and use it for at least 30 minutes after a shower. If mildew appears, take a bucket of water with a small amount of bleach in it, dip a rag into the bucket, and gently clean the walls to avoid damaging the paint.
Mauro painted the walls with Behr Marquee interior paint in Gray Shimmer with an eggshell finish (https://www.behr.com/consumer). The paint is mildew resistant. Mauro applied two coats to ensure even coverage.
The other materials Mauro used for this job, including the paint brushes, tape, trays, and drop cloths, can all be found at home centers.
Expert assistance with this segment was provided by Mauro’s Painting (http://maurospainting.com/).
Ask This Old House TV
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
This Old House releases new segments every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Keywords: This Old House, How-to, home improvement, DIY, mauro henrique, ask this old house, painting, bathroom, mold-resistant
Watch the full episode: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/closet-door-bathroom-paint-ask-toh
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House: