From This Old House.
Watch DIY Expert & House One Editor Jenn Largesse, as she covers phase one of her fireplace wall makeover and upgrades her mantel with new molding.
SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
I’m in the process of renovating the entire fireplace wall to include built-in cabinets and mount the television over the fireplace, but step one was to demo the fireplace and get it ready for new tile, which, for me, included removing the mantel to cut it shorter and so I could modernize it with new trim.
Time: 1 day
Skill level: Moderate
Plastic furniture covers [https://amzn.to/3aiK9IM]
Drywall screws [https://amzn.to/3oZnvJv]
Tile backer board [http://thd.co/34ju3uE]
Specialty screws [http://thd.co/3gSzQfA]
Dust mask [https://amzn.to/3oW49Vy]
1×2 trim [http://thd.co/3oX8WWP]
White paint [https://amzn.to/3r1qfYx]
Utility knife [https://amzn.to/3h1OQbi]
Thin putty knife [https://amzn.to/3mq5oLc]
Pry bar [https://amzn.to/3nrGvjs]
Shop vac [https://amzn.to/3ah9YZJ]
Dremel ultra saw [https://amzn.to/3gUciXH]
Coarse wood blade [https://amzn.to/2Wl1pF9]
Circular saw [https://amzn.to/37puAwO]
Pull saw [https://amzn.to/3gTQAmC]
Paint brush [https://amzn.to/3gVQnPP]
Caulk gun [https://amzn.to/3momlFx]
Steps for Prepping a Fireplace for New Tile
1. Remove the molding along the entire wall and base of the mantel
2. Remove the mantel.
3. Remove the tile. Once tiles are removed, vacuum the area clean.
4. Prep the hearth surface. Having a fresh smooth surface will make installing the new tile much easier. In this case, it meant replacing the plywood base and replacing it with tile board. Scrape away as much excess mortar as possible.
5. Prep the wall. In this case, it meant removing and replacing drywall.
6. Choose a tile board with the correct thickness. The one used here was HardieBoard [http://thd.co/34ju3uE]. Install the tile board.
7. Update the mantel. In this case, the height was made shorter to accommodate a flat-screen television.
See part 2: How to Tile a Fireplace [https://youtu.be/zmkhOXv8_-U]
Looking for more step by step guidance on how to complete projects around the house? Join This Old House Insider to stream over 1,000 episodes commercial-free: https://bit.ly/2GPiYbH
Plus, download our FREE app for full-episode streaming to your connected TV, phone or tablet: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/pages/streaming-app
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
How to Prep a Fireplace for New Tile | House One
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Help us improve our content!
Tell us if mBlip should continue to feature this YouTuber's content.