June 30, 2022: Ketanji Brown Jackson, Snake Island, Liz Cheney on Trump, Supreme Court rulings, China’s Xi in Hong Kong
1. Ketanji Brown Jackson is set to be sworn in as a U.S. Supreme Court justice, making history as the first Black woman on the nation’s top judicial body while joining it at a time when its conservative majority has been flexing its muscles in major rulings.
2. Russian forces have withdrawn from Ukraine’s Snake Island, a strategic outpost in the Black Sea, Russia’s defence ministry and Ukraine’s president’s office said.
3. Republican U.S. Representative Liz Cheney said that Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election were "more chilling and more threatening" than first imagined, while calling on Republicans to choose between loyalty to Trump and the Constitution.
4. The U.S. Supreme Court is set to issue its final two rulings of its current term, one on federal agency power to tackle climate change and the other on President Joe Biden’s ability to end a hardline immigration policy begun under his predecessor Donald Trump.
5. Hong Kong has overcome its challenges and "risen from the ashes", China’s President Xi Jinping said on Thursday, as he arrived in the former British colony to celebrate 25 years since its return to Chinese rule.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en