Without federal legislation, the fight against LGBTQ discrimination has been waged in the courts and the White House.
Watch more 2020 US election explainers at http://vox.com/ElectionVideos.
The US Civil Rights Act of 1964 originally protected against discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, and religion. But in a failed political maneuver meant to make the bill so unpopular that it wouldn’t pass, the word “sex” was added as well. That addition protected women from being discriminated against at work, but it also set off a 50-year legal battle over whether the law also protects LGBTQ Americans.
The court has reached a decision in this battle, but the Trump White House has come to a different conclusion. And that means there are huge stakes for LGBTQ rights in the 2020 election.
This was the eighth in our series of 2020 election explainers, all based on viewer suggestions. Watch the others, which cover the stakes of the election on:
1) Climate change: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfAXbGInwno
2) Voting rights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al3qY8ZMHEc
3) Reproductive health: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzuk13Ftxgo
4) Public schools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFJ37ri-Saw
5) Police reform: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHePglP28CM
6) America’s role in the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5LrQv496Iw
7) Transportation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZDZtBRTyeI
8) LGBTQ rights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRnpUptf7E0
9) The eviction crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F07yTI0J3Qk
Read more of Vox’s coverage of the impact of the election on LGBTQ rights: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/8/26/21374948/trump-second-term-lgbtq-people
And the Bostock v. Clayton County ruling: https://www.vox.com/2020/6/15/21291515/supreme-court-bostock-clayton-county-lgbtq-neil-gorsuch
For coverage of the Equality Act, currently before the Senate: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/5/17/18627771/equality-act-house-congress-lgbtq-rights-discrimination
For related coverage from NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/02/804873211/whiplash-of-lgbtq-protections-and-rights-from-obama-to-trump
Here is the map of non-discrimination laws by state: https://www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps/non_discrimination_laws
Subscribe to our channel! http://goo.gl/0bsAjO
Vox.com is a news website that helps you cut through the noise and understand what’s really driving the events in the headlines. Check out http://www.vox.com.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Help us improve our content!
Tell us if mBlip should continue to feature this YouTuber's content.